Saturday, October 3, 2009

Student Voices: Emerging Identity and Desire to Make a Difference



Always it has been the assumption that my parents work more so that I could work less, but in a way, they work more as a mechanic and a waitress, so that I could work just as much as a doctor or a lawyer, and herein lies the contradiction: I want to work more so that I can make less, and somehow, make more of a difference, and actually, I’m not so sure I can say at this point where that value came from. Maybe it’s neither my mother nor my father speaking. Maybe that is my voice beginning to emerge.

- Weenta Girmay, University of Pittsburgh, Current Bolivia Semester Student with Amizade and West Virginia University (Pictured above learning how to stucco and then assisting with an orphanage construction project that Amizade supports)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment